CCTV (closed-circuit television) is originally described as “a TV system in which signals are not publicly distributed but are monitored, primarily for surveillance and security purposes.” The introduction of technology over the years has seen and brought in more intricate designs and features when it comes to CCTV cameras. Careful investment and effort has been deployed into making certain that security systems become advanced; in order to pit up against the crime that’s been mounting increasingly worldwide.
We’ve created a guide that will get you up to speed with all you need to know concerning CCTV cameras. Let’s start with the wide array of camera types that have been created in this current era of smart technology.
Types of CCTV Cameras
These cameras distribute images across the internet in order for the CCTV footage to be easily accessed. Such cameras are perfect for both domestic and commercial purposes because you are able to remotely monitor what happens when away from the property. Benefits:
- Ideal for both homes and businesses
- Less cabling and maintenance
- Ease of data access
Dark Fighter Technology Cameras
These are cameras that are able to pick up colour images in very low-light conditions. This type of technology can be used during day and at night – presenting the finest performance due to its wide range of capabilities. They are equipped with ½ “ CMOS progressive scan sensors that enable the device to select high-quality images and don’t require an extra light source – a benefit which adorns it as the ideal night time security surveillance camera. Benefits:
- High definition
- Smart features such as line crossing, audio and face detection
Internal and External Dome Camera
The dome camera is commonly used for indoor and outdoor security and surveillance. How it’s shaped makes it difficult for onlookers to be able to figure out which direction it’s facing. This specific piece of design discourages criminals by creating uncertainty. Benefits:
- Vandal-resistant features
- IR night vision
- Ease of installation
This type of CCTV camera enables discreet placement which allows for clear, good footage of theft and criminal acitivies to be recorded. Discreet CCTV cameras are ideal because criminals are less likely to spot them and therefore cannot be damaged in the process. Benefits:
- Disguisable in various objects
- Constructive for indoor use
- Can be propped up or mounted
C-mount cameras have detachable lenses, allowing for simple lens changes to fit different applications. They can cover long distances due to the use of special lenses. Benefits:
- Appropriate for indoor use
- Act as a deterrent because of noticeable bulky size
- Adaptable to changes in technology
With these cameras, you are able to read and store data from registration plates. They give off simple and effective solutions to many organizations including hotel overstay management, car parking and tolling. The ANPR stands for Automatic Number Plate Recognition, while LPR represents License Plate cameras. ANPR/LPR cameras assist in collecting large data in a high traffic area to keep any premises secure. Benefits:
- Allows for smooth business operations
- Smart feature – information storage
- Able to identify cars that have been barred from a premise
Such cameras are long and cylindrical in shape and are perfect for outdoor use. Bullet cameras have the ability to apply in any aspect needing long distance viewing. The cameras get shielded from dust, dirt and other natural elements because they are installed within protective castings. They can be easily mounted with a mounting bracket and come fitted with fixed or varifocal lenses depending on what it’ll be used for. Benefits:
- High-quality image resolution
- IR night vision
- Compact size assists in installation
Thermal Image Cameras/Infrared Cameras
When it comes to 24 hour surveillance, these cameras are the leading choice. They provide airports, seaports, boards and many other important infrastructures with quality images at any time of the day. Infrared cameras contain small LEDs surrounding the lens to assist in perceiving moving figures in the dark. Thermal image cameras on the other hand are able to observe over long distance up to 300m away. Benefits:
- Ideal in low-light
- Thermal radiation passes through visual barriers
- Can detect intruders that are 250-300m away
This kind of camera is able to operate in both normal and poorly lit environments and does not require inbuilt infrared illuminators because they can capture clear video images in the dark due to extra sensitive imaging chips. This element positions this camera as the perfect option for outdoor surveillance applications where IR cameras are not capable of functioning well. Benefits:
- Available in a range of sizes
- Ability to record in both colour and black & white
- Infrared capability
Varifocal cameras can zoom in and out without losing focus. They allow you to adjust the focal length, the angle and also enable you to increase or decrease the zoom. This is fitting for getting footage in a square room where you would normally experience a “dead zone” using alternative, fixed lense cameras. Benefits:
- Presents exceptional focus
- Works well with both close and long distances
- Can capture “dead zones” other cameras can’t observe
High Definition Cameras
Considering the high resolution they possess, HD cameras are perfect and mainly used for high risk establishments such as banks and casinos. They are able to capture a good image of everyone who enters and exits in order to maintain high security and maximum safety. High Definition cameras are appropriate for identifying misconduct and allow users to zoom in for extra clarity in the event that a footage needs to be used in court. Benefits:
- Maximum safety for high risk establishments
- Ability to zoom in without losing focus
- Clear, detailed images
PTZ Pan Tilt & Zoom Camera
Now these are the cameras that can panned (moved left or right), titled (up and down) and come with a lens that can zoom closer or farther. PTZ Pan Tilt & Zoom cameras are utilized in situations where there’s a live guard or surveillance specialist in charge of operating the security systems.Benefits:
- X36 optical zoom
- High-quality image resolution
- 200m IR night vision
Important Security Camera Features
Deciding on what CCTV cameras to install is a very crucial process because this is the technology that will be responsible for what keeps you and your loved ones safe along with your assets. Here are key features to consider when conducting comparison.
- Motion Detection – Cameras with this feature can send you notifications when the camera detects motion within its field of view. These notifications are able to alert you when something suspicious takes place and allows you to monitor the situation swiftly.
- Movement – A camera with the ability to pan and/or tilt records a larger area than a camera that is static. This then reduces the total number of cameras needed to observe a particular area.
- Field of View – This refers to how wide an angle a camera can record. It’s important because it will influence the number of cameras you choose to deploy and where you should place them.
- Sound – Sound is a characteristic that refers to your camera receiving sound via a microphone, emitting sound via speaker, or both. Cameras that have both these elements can be used as intercoms as well.
- Wi-Fi Capability – A camera that has Wi-Fi can communicate with your home network wirelessly. Such a factor is useful for installation and is also less prone to being disabled because it doesn’t have wires that could be compromised.
- Night Vision – The distance from which your camera can record images in low to no light settings can have a great impact on how efficient it is because more often than not, criminal activities take place at night. So it’s important to have one that can work well specifically in the evenings too.
- Cost – A camera that costs so much that you can’t maintain the valuables you’re trying to protect defeats its purpose. Cost is always a factor for every purchasing decision.
- Resolution – This element defines how clear the image from your camera will be. Clarity in images is very helpful when in cases such as trying to identify faces or items in the footage your camera records.
It’s crucial to know and understand the technology and systems that are responsible for protecting your home and your business. At DS Security, we’re also here to help guide you in attaining security solutions customized for your needs. Contact Us for leading CCTV Systems services.
Edwards, R. (2018). 14 Best Home Security Cameras of 2018 – Indoor and Outdoor. [online] SafeWise. Available at: https://www.safewise.com/resources/home-security-cameras/ [Accessed 3 Dec. 2018].WhatIs.com. (2018). What is CCTV (closed circuit television)? – Definition from WhatIs.com. [online] Available at: https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/CCTV-closed-circuit-television Accessed 3 Dec. 2018].Caught on Camera. (2018). Different Types of CCTV – CCTV Camera Types & Their Uses. [online] Available at: https://www.caughtoncamera.net/news/different-types-of-cctv/ [Accessed 3 Dec. 2018].